You may have heard a lot about dental implants in Gasport, NY, and wondered what they are, how they work, and why they’re preferable to other tooth-replacement methods.
Since we love to keep you informed and educated about the latest goings-on, we’re going to give you the nickel tour of dental implants.
Interesting Facts about Dental Implants
It may seem like dental implants are a recent innovation, but you might be surprised to learn that the ancient Egyptians used an early version of dental implants. Just in case you think that dental implants are a fad:
- Modern dental implants have been around since the mid-1880s but became common around 1980.
- Three million people have dental implants, but the number is growing by about 500,000 per year.
- Ten percent of US dentists now place dental implants.
- The success rate for dental implants is about 98 percent.
How Do Dental Implants Work Near Locksport, NY Work?
- Dental implants are stand-alone replacement teeth that mimic the look and structure of natural teeth.
- The foundation of an implant is a titanium post placed in the jaw bone. The implant bonds with the surrounding bone and acts as a replacement root for the missing tooth.
- This titanium root is finished by capping it with a natural-looking dental crown. The result is a functional replacement tooth that blends seamlessly with the rest of your smile.
Why Are Dental Implants the Preferred Tooth Replacement?
Bridges and dentures are great for solving the aesthetic problem, but they only fill the space left by a missing tooth. Dental implants are more effective than other tooth replacement options because they become part of your mouth.
Dental implants look natural and improve your oral health. Tooth loss can cause a number of oral health problems, including loss of gum tissue, shifting teeth, and deterioration of the jawbone.
Since the implant replaces a missing root, it stabilizes surrounding teeth and prevents them from moving. The unique properties of dental implants make them appropriate for many uses:
- Replacing one or multiple missing teeth
- Replacing a tooth without adding stress to adjacent teeth
- Preserving the strength and density of the jawbone
- Providing support and stability for an existing bridge or denture
At Dentistry by Dr. Kaplansky, we’ve helped many patients restore their smiles and regain their lives after tooth loss. Dental implants are a remarkable, effective solution for tooth loss, but there are a number of factors we have to consider before we decide if they’re the right choice for you.
For Dental Implants Near Highland Park, NY, Give Us a Call
Please contact our Gasport dental office, and a member of our team will be happy to arrange a consultation to discuss dental implants and our other tooth replacement options.
We provide free consultation and dental implants to patients everywhere, including our friends in Lockport, Terrys Corners, Wrights Corners, Carlisle Gardens, Hartland, and Highland Park.